Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Quilt for Tracey, part 1

My beautiful niece, Tracey McDonald, visited recently and mentioned that she'd like a quilt. I recently received the gift of a box of fabrics and one of the pieces caught my eye, a dark green with butterflies. The butterflies are not prominent (they look like they are in the picture), so it's a nice subtle print. Of course, I always have denim. I recently purchased a Fat Cats rotary cutter ruler and thought that would make a great design for my animal-loving niece. Put that all together, and you have the trial block above. The plan is to create the rows, add 2" sashes across the bottom and top of each row, and then strip quilt the rows onto a piece of brown fleece that I have from an earlier project. Denim is fairly heavy, so having fleece as the batting and back combined eliminates a potentially very heavy quilt. I'm thinking it will be larger than lap sized, but not quite full bed sized. We'll wait and see on that.

Interestingly, I bought the ruler to create a larger Dresden Plate design with a scrappy look (using said box of fabric) and that's just going to have to wait. I'm inspired now!

No comments:

Post a Comment