Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas is coming. Are you ready?

I've become addicted to folded fabric and Styrofoam. I have made pine cones galore for myself and others, and I have plans to make some ball shaped folded Christmas fabric ornaments. Can't wait to start those. In the meantime, I had some piping hanging around that was screaming to be wrapped on Styrofoam. I started at one end, wrapping and using glue on pins where needed, adding a touch of glue here and there, and then added a button at each end with glue and glue on pins to match and secure. One has a single ribbon hanger and the other got some bows. It started as a hostess gift for a tacky Christmas sweater party. Here's the sweater (I'll had candy cane pants with the fabric shown below the sweater!):
 I bought the sweater used from the good folks at RustyZipper.com. Great price, better than great customer service, and I highly recommend them. They even has a cheap section for sweaters, vests, and sweatshirts that might have a little flaw. I mean, really, do you need a super quality piece for one party? :)
I searched high and low for a candy cane fabric that I used to have. That's it on the left. I found one yard of that. Then I found the fabric on the right which is an awful lot like it except for spacing, and I figured I could use both to make the pants to go with my sweater. I have some red Mary Janes to go with and will probably put ribbons in my hair somehow.

Not shown is my bottle of Elmer's glue and my pins. I prefer applique pins, but sequin pins will do. They're a little harder to work with because they're so small. Dritz sells both and you can get them online or at a local fabric store. As I started the wrap, I used glue dipped pins on the top and then intermittently as I wrapped the piping. The Styrofoam egg is about 2-1/2", but you can use bigger or smaller ones. You don't need to spend top dollar on the Styrofoam and prices vary wildly, so shop carefully. The piping came as shown. It was in a goody bag I was given way back when. It spoke to me, so I put it to work.

The one on the right was my first. I learned more about how to do the ribbon by doing the one on the left. This is the top. Leave one piece of ribbon long enough to use as a hanger for your Christmas tree. 

This is a view of the bottom. The purpose of the button and pins on the bottom is to hide the piping ends and to anchor it with glue under the button. 

And here it is on the tree. I have a 2' tree and all the ornaments mean something. Now I have one that I made for myself this year. I recommend this as an easy craft to do over chit chat and coffee or with a Girl Scout Troop or an art class or just by yourself to spend some time with yourself and get out of your head for a bit. 

I think it fits in just fine!

In case I'm not back before the holiday, Merry Christmas to all of you. Keep stitching and reusing those scraps.
Psst, one more picture showing the button sewing form sculpture. She's been decorated for the holiday too!

No comments:

Post a Comment