Monday, July 25, 2016

CDR Bag Project - 100 bags!

Child Development Resources provides services for local at-risk infants, toddlers and their families, be it socioeconomic, physical, mental, or a myriad other reasons. They were there when my twins were born premature and provided assistance and support to me and mine. For that, we will be forever grateful. They also provide literacy support for the kids and often give books for the families to take home. In my opinion, those books need bags and those bags need a pocket to hold a library card for future reading!

And so, I've begun a 100-bag project. I will make 100 totes with pockets for the children and families of Child Development Resources, Early Head Start, and whatever program they'd like to use them for. Today, I completed number 1. They'll all be the same size and will be made with colorful novelty fabrics. Number 1 is a bag made with banana fabric!

The fabric is cut in 2 14x"x16" rectangles. The pocket is cut in 2 4"x5" pieces, then sewn right sides together and turned, then attached to the inside of the bag. These bags are not lined. I did serge the 1/4" seams. I basted the handles 2" away from either side of the center, then came a piece of bias tape (you can use any fabric you like) to sew right sides together with the bag, turn under, and machine hem. The handles are caught in the seam of the facing and bag. Easy, right? 

Here's what number 1 looks like without all the dimension stuff written on it. I think they're going to work out just fine.

What is your project of love? 99 to go for me!


  1. I can imagine you were so full of enthusiasm as you finished bag #1, Donna. The pocket inside is a great addition. Your construction method is very similar to an idea that's been in my head for a while - sandwiching the handles between the bag and a facing. I'm planning on doing it for some grocery bags. Funnily enough, I haven't seen it done elsewhere.

    1. Pam, when I make tote bags for sale or for myself, I fully line them. In the end with the project bags, I cut 2" strips, hemmed them with about 1/4 inch, sewed them to the bag to encase the handles, and then overstitched/top stitched all of that. It's nice and sturdy. I started with bias strips, but they didn't need to be cut on the bias after all.