Saturday, February 19, 2011

Oh no! Hexies. And oh my! Buttons.

First the "oh my!"

Look at this beautiful exhibit at the Kyneton Museum in Australia: http://thehouseonthesideofthehill.blogspot.com/2011/02/buttons-buttons-and-more-buttons.html I am so jealous. I would love to see this! I wonder if it's coming to the US someday or if it's even a traveling exhibit? It is truly a coincidence that I read a short piece about a woman's mother's button "box" (really a round tin) filled with buttons. My mother had the same type of button box and I would play with them for hours. Later, my children played with them and the buttons from my own button box - sorting games with color, size, number of holes, with a post or not, etc. Buttons have shown up in a few places in my life today. I also found this piece I made several years ago using buttons from my own button box, recycled denim, and a recycled wooden frame. Buttons - amazing.

Now the "oh no!"

I just may have been making hexagons the wrong way for 30ish years. I am doing a hex swap and love it. Today, a post was made about a method for making the flowers that we swap. I noticed in the instructions that the threads do not show on the right side of the flower. Mine does. I learned how to make these at a quilt guild meeting when I was in my early 20s and made my daughter's quilt "my" way, my nephew's baby's quilt (shown - denim and strawberries) "my" way, and several hexagon projects in between "my" way. Jeepers! What if I have to learn a new way? I guess I could, huh? Or maybe, everyone can make them the way they've always done it. We'll see!

Today found me putting a row of hexagons onto my own quilt and I realized I had one too many petals at the end of a row. Snip, snip, snip - off came the extra one. Oh, I so don't like taking out stitching! Reminds me of (and I paraphrase) "As we sew, so shall we rip." Sew on!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that there is any "wrong" way. Just different. Like the old saying, "there is more than one way to skin a cat". LOL!! I am your Inchy Hexagon Swap partner for February. I did not know how to get a hold of you. I am working on your flower now and will have it out to soon. If you need to get ahold of me just hope over to my blog and you will find my email there. Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figure the "church ladies" who taught me a bazillion years ago were doing what they knew as hexies and I was lucky to learn from them. Now I know two ways! I look forward to receiving the hex! I'm going to be making some mug mats at first and then a tote bag. The ones I'm using for my quilt are 1-1/2 inches.

    ReplyDelete