Friday, February 18, 2011

A touch of discombobulation

If something bad happens in your life, pick up your needle and thread and sew. Calm your mind and soul.

Wednesday, I came home from physical therapy and noticed the dog was outside and the door was open. I then noticed some items in the yard that were not there before. As I went inside, I noticed Wii parts on my front porch and then Wii parts on my living room floor, along with Wii games. Then I saw my laptop was gone and went in the other room to find our other laptop gone. At this point, I knew that I had been robbed. I went outside and called 9-1-1, then sat on my front steps to make a few more calls, one to my husband and one to my boss included. The rest of the afternoon was like a script from Law and Order, including police officers entering my house with guns drawn and telling me to stay outside, fingerprinting, and lots of papers to fill out and talking to do. The thieves were interrupted in their plundering when Fed Ex made a delivery. Thank you, Fed Ex.

Wednesday night, I picked up my hexagon quilt and did some sewing, for hours. I wasn't interested in sleeping and put together several rows of hexies. It was just what I needed to do. My little pieces of fabric, my thread and needle, and me. What do people do who don't have something like this to turn to in times of turmoil?

Sewing is more than just making kids' clothes for sure.

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and I'm so sorry to read about this happening to you! :(

    ReplyDelete