Saturday, March 14, 2020

Getting me some of that Corona

Okay, maybe I won't get some Corona as I'm not a big beer person, but it sounded good.

Snow/ice storms and hurricanes - we're used to prepping for those. We make sure we've got food and water, that our clothes are clean as we can't run the washer with the generator, and we've done this a lot. But this virus thing is different. There is nothing to see or feel. The threat is invisible. We can't see that snow falling or the wind blowing the trees at unnatural angles. We don't feel anything when we go out. It's just weird.

What is pretty cool is the sense of humor that is emerging from people I didn't expect it from. We truly are in this together and laughing is important. Google "coronavirus meme" and enjoy. There are some clever folks out there.

Today, though, I went out and bought rocks. If I'm going to be stuck at home, I'm going to have rocks to paint. Other than handing the guy my money, there was no interaction with anyone except the rocks and they don't count. The point is that in order to combat impending cabin fever, I'm trying to make sure I do have activities. I have enough yard work that needs to be done for 10 people. I highly recommend tapping into any hobbies you might have.

Watching LivePD, they're reminding everyone that first responders don't have a choice; they have to be around people. It's a sign of the times that they're telling us to go to the CDC or the Red Cross sites and get facts. In general, it's a nice diversion, though.

The local news has informed us that one person in our county has now died from the virus. They're not offering much in the way of details yet. Close to home for sure.

The unknown, the inability to see this and feel it, the lack of an end time, all adds up to frustration and wondering WTF to do next. And it's worldwide. That's just freaking amazing.

Matt Colvin and Katie Williams, both being skewered on Twitter. He hoarded sanitizer, etc., to sell online at a profit. She is boasting about doing what she wants (going out to restaurants). This is America today.

Colvin in NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html
Katie Williams on Twitter: @realkatiejow


No comments:

Post a Comment