Saturday, October 28, 2006

Log cabin oops

I'm working on a lap sized log cabin quilt for one of my teeshirtmemories.com quilt customers. It's five rows by five rows, each row with five blocks. I had done two rows before I started last night to finish the other three rows (15 squares). I have one block on my board next to the sewing machine to make sure I get placement of colored strips right. I got to the next to last color and realized, ooooops!, I had put all 15 of these together wrong. So, I put on my "what the heck do I do now?" hat and decided the three rows in the center would be the oddball rows and the two rows (one on top and one on the bottom) left over would be the "correct" rows. No way in hades I'm taking three rows apart or doing them over. Well, we'll look at it like this - the best weavers and quilt makers in the world carry on a tradition believed to have begun with the American Native Indians - leave an intentional mistake somewhere in your work so that it reminds you of your humble and not perfect-ness. So that's what I'll do. This is my intentional mistake. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment