Saturday, April 19, 2008

McDonald's bib

This bib was basically free. I had receiving blankets, the McDonald's fabric that someone had given me, and of course, recycled denim.

First I cut out squares from the McDonald's fabric and arranged them in a grid on the denim, that I had cut with a bib pattern I made up. You can get free bib pattens all over the web or copy one of your own or make one up. This one is about 8" wide and 11" tall and I'd consider it a baby, not a toddler bib. But you can make yours smaller or larger. I machine appliqued the squares on the denim.
I then made a pocket of the McDonald's fabric and basted it on the bottom.
Next, I placed the receiving blanket piece that I had cut to match the bib pattern on the back and pinned it in place. You can use a receiving blanket, cotton, an old towel, chenille, or whatever you have on hand for the back.
I used bias tape that I had around the house, but you can make bias or buy it. I put this all the way around the bib, catching the pocket edges in the tape.
I added Velcro for a closure. You can use Velcro or a snap. For a baby bib, I would not use a button.
Voila, free bib! Even if it's not 100% free for you to make, you can probably make bibs and potholders and all sorts of items with fabrics, threads, tapes, and trims you already have. Consider appliqueing designs to dish towels, blue jeans knees that need to be mended, or anything that doesn't move!
Have fun with it. That's the main thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment