Monday, August 18, 2008

Those HD overalls

Yesterday, I worked on the Harley Davidson overalls. I added wings to the back pockets. Sounds easy, right? I took the pockets off, which means that I picked through industrial stitching with my little seam ripper, one by one, two by two, taking great care not to tear the fabric of the overalls themselves. I cut the wings out of the bandanna, leaving a bit of fabric on the edges to provide a base for the machine appliqué. I basted the wings on the pockets, did the machine satin stitching, added some decorative trim to the pockets to girlyfie them, then put the pockets back on the overalls, matching the top stitching on the overalls. This took about 2 hours. It was a tedious process, but the end result is worth it.
Next, I added a Harley Davidson shield to the back of the overalls. I'm not 100% happy with the way it looks, so I am going to fine tune it today. I also took off the tag on the side of the jeans that was a decorative item before I started the redesign. The original tag is still inside the overalls, so the manufacturer is visible.
Last, I added a fray checking solution to the machine appliqued edges.
Today, I work on the shield on the back and start the leg ruffles. I may finish this project today. I haven't decided on a price yet, but I believe it's going to be a really nice outfit when I'm done!

No comments:

Post a Comment