Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A few tee shirt quilts

I've been discussing tee shirt quilts on an E-mail list in which I participate. I thought I would show a few of the quilts that I've done over the years for others.

I have closeups of most of these. They were primarily done with the quilt-as-you-go method and then pieced with sashing. The sashing has machine quilting that was added as the blocks were attached to each other. With every quilt, I learned a lesson. I'm most proud of the soccer quilt, but am proud of all of them in their own way. They took about 2 months each to design and make. 

My way is my way. There are a lot of different methods to use when making tee shirt quilts, several on the internet and others in books. I started a 'how to' years ago and this is as far as I got:

Tee shirt quilts

Decide how many squares
Width should be at least 60ish
Length should be around 76-80ish.

Separate tees into color piles, as well as size of design if necessary.
Set up grid, and plan the colors based on tees. 
Design any "blank" squares.

Cut muslin mounting squares exact square size after doing math for design. 
Remember to add in sashing measurements.
Cut tees about the size of the muslin, or a skosh larger.
Baste tees onto muslin for stabilization.

Have fun!

1 comment: